Monday 15 April 2019

Experiences of loss

With over 200 blogs on D4Dementia now, some of them approaching 7 years old next month, I've decided to spend my 2019 year of blogging by re-visiting some of the topics I’ve covered previously, throwing fresh light on why they remain relevant, and updating them with some of my more recent experiences. This month, I want to look at loss.

Losing my dad

One of my most popular and shared blogs on D4Dementia is ‘End-of-life care: A very personal story’. I wrote the blog less than two months after my dad had died, and with my emotions still very raw I began the blog by saying:
"Planting up my father’s grave recently, I found my mind wandering back to our last few days with him, painful in so many ways and yet hugely comforting as well. Nothing is more important to me than knowing that we spent all day every day with dad during that time, that we were with him at the very end, and that he had what I would describe as outstanding end-of-life care."
I’ve been back to plant up dad’s grave many times since I wrote that blog, most recently last week to give it some spring colour as we marked what would have been dad’s 92nd birthday. That was the first time our daughter could really participate in the gardening, and my feelings watching her digging little holes and helping to arrange the plants are something I can’t quite find the words to describe. It’s the closest she will ever get to my dad, which is a huge sadness as I know my dad would have adored being a grandpa and he never got that chance. The emotions may not be as raw now, but dad’s physical absence from our lives means that there will always be a missing piece in our family jigsaw. 

Loss from a distance

Very sadly I’ve had further personal experience of loss recently as my father-in-law passed away in South Africa, just 15 days before the 7th anniversary of my own dad’s passing and having lived and died from the same type of dementia – vascular dementia. Experiencing bereavement from a distance, having not been there to support my in-laws, as well as supporting my other half as he comes to terms with the loss of his dad, is the strangest mix of emotions, and the timing in particular has brought back many memories of my own dad’s passing. 

Distant bereavement means that you don’t have all of the practicalities to attend to, and you don’t feel remotely useful. Life is expected to carry on, and yet it isn’t the same and won’t ever be. Our parents shape our lives and the people we are – losing a figure so influential in your life is like having the rug pulled out from under you, and seven years on from losing my dad I have realised that you can never replace that carpet of stability and wisdom. All you can do is celebrate all that person gave you, and how they’ve helped you to become the individual you are.

Losing a new life

In my work life I draw on the strengths my dad gave me a huge amount, especially when dealing with any topic that involves loss. There is no denying the need to talk about advanced care planning, palliative and end of life care, loss, grief and bereavement, but while my personal experiences positively influence me as a trainer and writer they can also be painful to revisit in many different ways. 

One particular example of recent work, albeit ghost-written so I can’t signpost you to it as the author, was around how life story work can bring up thoughts and the associated feelings of bereavement(s) an older person experienced when they were younger. One of the most powerful ways I illustrated this was by drawing on the experiences of a lady I knew in her 80’s, who had heartbreakingly recalled a miscarriage as a young 20-something woman. 

At the time I never imagined this would resonate with me, but having had a miscarriage at 10 weeks last month I now know that an experience like that changes you. Other women older than me have told me they’ve never forgotten how they felt at the loss of the life they’d had growing inside them, and all I can really say is that in terms of pregnancy it reminded me of the title of a blog I wrote in 2014, ‘A loss of innocence’.

A loss of innocence not because I didn’t know miscarriages can happen, indeed my own mother had one before having me and I know many other women who’ve had miscarriages amongst my circle of family and friends, but because I will never view pregnancy, should it ever happen for us again, in the same way. As I said in my ‘A loss of innocence’ blog:
“Life is not and will never be as it was, and unlike many aspects of our existence this is something that we have no control over.”
For that lady in her 80’s recalling a loss of new life 60 years ago, as real then as the day it happened, is proof that living with loss is a lifetime’s work. Despite dementia taking many of this lady’s memories, it had left that one perfectly intact and able to torment her if the right care and support wasn't in place to help her overcome reliving those experiences whenever she saw a pregnant lady or a baby, having never been able to have children herself.

I’ve come to realise that any loss changes you, and perhaps the most important message about loss is that you don’t forget, and that’s ok. You can’t erase loss from your life however it has touched you; all you can do is find ways to acknowledge your loss and to live with it.

Until next time...
Beth x






You can follow me on Twitter: @bethyb1886
Like D4Dementia on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment